Grande Prairie & Area Block Parent Association
July 2018 - Thanks to the Grande Prairie RCMP we are now able to send our CRC/VS authorization letters to applicants and members by email.
June 2018 - We have welcomed our first Block Parent in the Signature Falls neighbourhood.
March 2018 - We have received our EZ Child ID system. We are beginning training with our volunteers and will post clinic schedules shortly.
January 2017 - We have welcomed our first Block Parent in the Westpointe neighbourhood.
Oct/Nov/Dec 2016 - Public Meet & Greet sessions scheduled in partnership with the City of Grande Prairie at the Eastlink Center to recruit new member households. We have welcomed our first Block Parent in the Crystal Lake neighbourbood.
A Block Parent® is required to complete an incident report if they provide assistance to an individual. To complete this report please click here.
To become a Block Parent household there are a few steps that you must follow. This is done to ensure the integrity of the program and the safety of any persons in distress who may use the safety network.
We are currently accepting applications from residents of: City of Grande Prairie, Town of Sexsmith, Town of Wembley, Hamlet of Clairmont, Hamlet of Grovedale and Hamlet of Bezanson.
If you reside in a surrounding community and would like to assist as a community coordinator please contact our chairman at email@example.com to express your interest.
- Complete out 100% digital application online.
- All members residing in your household MUST be listed on the application.
- Following receipt of your application you will be provided with a letter via email that needs to be taken to the RCMP to obtain a Criminal Record Check.
- Any person 12 years and older MUST submit for a Criminal Record Check.
- Any person 18 years and older MUST also submit for a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- To complete your Criminal Record Check you must attend the RCMP detachment at 10202 99 Street in person with your email letter and 2 pieces of government issued identification, 1 MUST be photo identification. Both types of identification MUST show your birthdate and full legal name. The RCMP detachment is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm and Saturday from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Please ensure that you complete the 3rd party information release naming "RCMP Community Policing" as the authorized party to collect your information. Without this completed you will NOT be able to participate in the program.
- Completion of the Criminal Record Check and Approval by Community Policing can take up to 6 weeks before approval to participate in the Block Parent program is granted.
- Following approval by the Community Policing program your references will be contacted. Please ensure that we have accurate contact information for your references as we will only make 3 attempts. If we are unable to reach your references after the 3rd attempt your application will be closed with no further action.
- After reference checks are complete a member of our inspection team will visit your residence to complete a "Safe Home Inspection" We will be looking to ensure that your home is safe, approachable and identifiable to a person in distress.
- Upon completion of the Safe Home Inspection you will receive a welcome package that includes your sign and other important information to help you be a successful member of the Block Parent Safety Network.
- Post your sign in a street facing window when you are home and immediately available to assist a person in distress.